- 17 May 2021:https://biology.indiana.edu/news-events/news/2021/wanamaker-brabson-award.html
- 15 May 2021: Katie Talbott and Kaitlyn Ross receive an IU Research and Teaching Preserve grant to study the influence of Plasmodium parasites on sperm quality of songbirds breeding in Indiana.
- 10 May 2021: Sarah Wanamaker is awarded funding through the Brabson Library and Educational Foundation for her research on avian window strikes.
- 09 May 2021: Dr. Dan Becker in Times Union: https://www.timesunion.com/hudsonvalley/outdoors/article/Deer-are-not-the-only-mammals-to-blame-for-Lyme-16166434.php
- 01 May 2021: Undergraduate Kaitlyn Ross is accepted into IU's Research Experience for Undergraduates through the Center for the Integrative Study of Animal Behavior.
- 29 April 2021: Katie Talbott received the Louise Constable Hoover Fellowship from the IU Department of Biology.
- 29 April 2021: Undergraduate Kaitlyn Ross received the Kindig Scholarship from the IU Department of Biology.
- 29 April 2021: Undergraduate Piper Zola recieved the Alfred Parson Mower Scholarship from the IU Department of Biology.
- 17 March 2021: Sarah Wanamaker is awarded money through the Amos Butler Audubon Society for her grant proposal "Avain window strikes on Indiana University's campus—documenting fatalities and seeking solutions."
- 09 Feb 2021: WAMC Northeast Public Radio on Dr. Dan Becker's research on Lyme disease: https://www.wamc.org/post/new-study-identifies-bird-species-could-spread-lyme-disease
- 27 Jan 2021: Dan Becker's research gains media attention: https://phys.org/news/2021-01-bird-species-lyme-disease.html
- 09 Oct 2020 - The Herald Times covers Sarah Wanamaker's research: IU Researcher Seeks Help Documenting 'Bird Strikes'.
- 16 Sept 2020 - UGA today covers Dr. Dan Becker's research: Migration shapes patterns of disease transmission
- 09 Jan 2020 - How juncos changed their migration, behavior, and plumage in a matter of decades.
- 4 Oct 2019 - Ellen Ketterson is interviewed for podcast "In This Climate"
- 20 Oct 2019 - A news article on juncos, featuring Ellen.
- 28 Oct 2019 - Congratulations to Dr. Adam Fudickar and Dr. Ellen Ketterson on their NSF grant: 'Breed early, breed late? Molecular, neuroendocrine, and developmental mechanisms regulating timing of reproduction'
- 25 Nov 2019 - Allie Byrd is interviewed by Indiana Public Media about our Motus towers that track bird movements.
- 1 June 2018 - Birdaz.com: Jonathan Dwight, 100 years ago, forerunner to Alden Miller and team junco
- 22 May 2018 - BioScience: Juncos featured in the "Cost of Being Sexy"
- 15 Feb 2018 - Animal Behavior Society has named Ellen Ketterson its 2018 recipient of the Distinguished Animal Behaviorist Award
- 5 Jan 2018 - Kitsap Daily News: Ordinary/extraordinary junco featuring Dr. Jonathan Atwell profile on the dark-eyed junco, featured in the January/February 2018 issue of Bird Watcher’s Digest
- 2 Jan 2018 - Ketterson Lab goes to SICB!
- 10 May 2017 wfyi.org: $55 Million IU Initiative Tackles Environmental, Climate Change
- 17 May 2017 - Phys.Org: Male birds adjust courtship behavior based on social context
- 13 Nov 2017 - OWU.edu: The Significance of Female Birdsong
3 August 2016 - EurekAlert: Shorter telomeres reveal stress in migratory birds
1 July 2016 - Evolution 2016: Danielle Whittaker talks about microbial vs physiological mediation of sexually selected signals in juncos
29 June 2016 - Science: Bacteria give bird its sexy smells
19 April 2016 - Indiana University: IU sophomore on 'front end' of sustainability research on bird migration
20 March 2016 - Indiana University: Ellen Ketterson interviewed about Grand Challenges proposal
15 March 2016 - University of Chicago Press: New book on juncos from the Ketterson Lab available
8 January 2016 - IU News Room: Five finalists selected for IU Grand Challenges research program
26 October 2015 - IU News Room: IU-funded project breaks ground on 'functional sculpture' birds habitat
17 January 2015 - Indiana Public Media: The "Payoff" of Promiscuity
30 July 2014 - American Birding Association: Guadalupe Junco Split from Dark-eyed Juncos
23 April 2014 - IU News Room: Ellen Ketterson named American Academy of Arts and Sciences fellow
5 November 2013 - F1000: Bergeon Burns et al. 2013 recommended by F1000Prime
19 September 2013 - Nature: Fertility smells like preen spirit
3 September 2013 - MSU Science & Technology: Birds choose sweet-smelling mates
16 August 2013 - ScienceShot: Forget Plumage, Birds Sniff Out Good Mates
22 May 2013 - IU News Room: "After successful premier, IU biologists relase junco documentary for birders, teachers"
13 March 2013 - American Society of Naturalists: Ellen Ketterson elected ASN President
11 December 2012 - IU News Room: Kinsey research: Postpartum women less stressed by threats unrelated to the baby
04 December 2012 - IU News Room: With songbird as star, 'Ordinary Extraordinary Junco' movie puts spotlight on evolution, IU research
30 November 2012 - IU News Room: Songbirds adapt to new urban environs thanks to rapid genetic evolution
21 November 2012 - The Scorpion and the Frog: Competitive Females
16 October 2012 - Scienceline: Becoming city birds
21 August 2012 - C-ville: Undergrads dive into science at UVA’s Mountain Lake research station
13 July 2012 - WDBJ7: Mountain Lake holds UVA biology lab
06 June 2012 - IU News Room: IU-led team shows that variations in sex steroid gene expression can predict aggressive behaviors
27 November 2011 - Herald Times: Birds of winter have arrived and will be around until spring
10 November 2011 - Nature News & Views: Why promiscuity pays
09 October 2011 - WVXU Cincinnati Edition: Field Notes: The Junco
05 October 2011 - ScienceNOW: Whisper while you lurk
15 September 2011 - Nature Research Highlights: Infidelity yields better offspring
01 September 2011 - Songbirds caught whispering face strong retaliation from territory owners
31 August 2011 - The Conversation: Do cheating females have better kids? Shake ya tail feather for yes
31 August 2011 - IU News Room: It's for the grandkids! Promiscuousness results in genetic 'trade-up'
03 August 2011 - Anthrophysis: Behavior 2011: Wonderful WonderLab (science outreach)
02 November 2010 - WFIU Indiana Public Radio: Interview with Ellen Ketterson
Fall 2010 - The College Magazine: Reaching for the STARS
01 June 2010 - Science Daily: Natural Selection for Moderate Testosterone Surprises Scientists
27 May 2010 - UVa Today: Study Shows Costs and Benefits of Testosterone in Birds
21 April 2010 - Live Science: Songbirds Hold Secrets of Attracting Mates
03 March 2010 - National Wildlife Federation: Sex and the Dark-eyed Junco
Spring/Summer 2009 - IU Teaching & Learning: Seeking a Deeper Learning Experience
01 February 2009 - National Wildlife Federation: The High Price of Being a Hunk
2008 - Nature Conservancy - Studying Juncos at Whitney Preserve, South Dakota
31 October 2007 - ScienCentral: Testosterone Junkie Birds: Science Sensei
16 October 2007 - Science Daily: Testosterone Turns Male Junco Birds Into Blustery Hunks -- And Bad Dads
28 May 2006 - Science Daily: Testosterone Boosts Birds' Attractiveness, But Leads To Shorter Lifespan
Spring 2006 - Indiana University Research and Creative Activity: The Scientists and the Supermodels
January/February 2006 - American Birding Association: A Junco's Assets: His Tail and His Size
BONUS: NPR's "This American Life" 2002 series on testosterone (not Ketterson-lab specific, but of interest)